Citizens Traffic Task Force Newsletter
Welcome to the Ponte Vedra Beach Citizen’s Traffic Task Force January Newsletter.
Ponte Vedra Beach A1A Intersection Improvements to Begin in 2021
Despite the many challenges faced during 2020, much progress was made during the year towards construction in 2021 on the first of a series of intersection improvements, each of which will enhance traffic flow and the quality of life in Ponte Vedra Beach.
There are eight intersections that will ultimately be addressed in what is now termed the Ponte Vedra Beach A1A Intersection Improvement Project, six are actually along A1A and two are on Palm Valley Road. These intersections include: SRA1A at Marsh Landing Parkway; SRA1A at Ponte Vedra Lakes; SRA1A at Solana Road; SRA1A at Sawgrass Village Drive; SRA1A at PGA Tour Boulevard; SRA1A at Mickler Road; Palm Valley Road at Mickler Road; and Palm Valley Road at Roscoe Boulevard.
On the advice of the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and St. Johns County (SJC), all of these individual intersections were bundled together in 2020 into one all-encompassing Ponte Vedra Beach proposal. The result has elevated the total initiative (estimated at $17.15M) into becoming one of the Top 5 roadway improvement priorities in St. Johns County. The SJC Board of County Commissioners will meet in February to approve their Top 5 list, which will then be submitted to the North Florida Transportation Planning Organization (NFTPO). It is the NFTPO that coordinates with the FDOT on all high priority roadway projects in Duval, St. Johns, Nassau and Clay counties.
Based on the latest information, the first intersection improvement to begin this year will be at Solana Road and A1A. This relatively small project primarily involves extending the so-called “stacking lanes” on Solana Road eastbound at A1A and the stacking lanes southbound on A1A at Solana Road (for both left and right turns). Work on this intersection is expected to start in April/May 2021 and be completed shortly thereafter. The design and engineering work for the Mickler-A1A intersection, is expected to begin sometime early in 2021 with construction starting in 2022. Finally, the two intersections at SRA1A at Marsh Landing Parkway and at SRA1A at Ponte Vedra Lakes will be addressed simultaneously with the engineering studies expected to be completed in 2021 and construction beginning in 2022.
To show its continuing support for this important initiative, the CTTF Board was represented at the St. Johns County Legislative Delegation meeting that was held December 18th, 2020 at the St. Johns County Commission Auditorium, in St. Augustine. Board Vice President Greg Leonard presented an update on CTTF activities to Senator Travis Hudson, Representative Paul Renner and Representative Cyndi Stevenson, Chair of the St. Johns County Legislative Delegation. In addition, Leonard requested that our Legislative Delegation allocate funds in the 2021 Legislative Session towards continuing to move the Ponte Vedra Beach A1A Intersection Improvement Project forward. This request aligns with those made to the Legislative Delegation by the CTTF in the past two years that yielded $500K from the 2019 Legislative Session and $1M from the 2020 Session.
St. Johns County Public Works Update for the Ponte Vedra Beach area
St. Johns County works closely with the Ponte Vedra Beach Citizen’s Traffic Task Force to address the transportation infrastructure needs of residents in the Ponte Vedra area. Working in partnership, both entities are committed to ensuring residents remain informed regarding upcoming infrastructure improvement initiatives. The following projects are scheduled to either be completed or begin in the next two years:
• Protective Beach Berm Project – This Federal Emergency Management Agency project will place protective sand on berms eroded during Hurricane Matthew along portions of the coastline from Ponte Vedra Beach to Crescent Beach. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2021. There may be traffic impacts once this project begins. Further notices will be published and circulated once the work schedule is finalized.
• L’Atrium Circle Sidewalk Improvements – Sidewalk improvements in the L’Atrium Subdivision, from L’Atrium Circle North to L’Atrium Circle South, include widening the sidewalk and adding curb ramps in order to meet Americans with Disabilities Act requirements. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• Roscoe Boulevard and Palm Valley Bridge Intersection Improvements – This project will upgrade the Roscoe Boulevard and Palm Valley Bridge intersection to include a traffic signal, an additional pedestrian crossing, and an extended sidewalk along the northern portion of Palm Valley Road to the Sawmill Lakes Community. The design phase of the project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• County Road 210, Palm Valley Road, and Mickler Road Intersection Improvements – Improvements to the roundabout at the County Road 210, Palm Valley Road, and Mickler Road intersection will increase intersection capacity and provide a better flow of traffic. The design phase of the project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• State Road A1A and Mickler Road Improvements – This project will include the construction of new left turn lanes at the State Road A1A and Mickler Road intersection. The design phase of the project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• Solana Road Improvements – This project will improve vehicular safety and traffic flow along Solana Road and the Solana Road and A1A Intersection. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• State Road A1A Intersection Improvements – Safety improvements will include the construction of southbound turn lanes along State Road A1A at the Ponte Vedra Lakes Boulevard, Ponte Vedra Parks Drive, and Marlin Road intersections for better traffic flow. The design phase of the project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• Palm Valley Road Sidewalk Construction – A sidewalk will be constructed from Landrum Lane to Canal Boulevard. The design phase of the project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
• JEA Waterline Project – This project includes the installation of a larger water main along Ponte Vedra Boulevard between Corona Road and Pablo Road and along Solana Road between Ponte Vedra Boulevard and Rutile Drive. The new water main will enhance water supply and water pressure in the community. Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2021. There may be traffic impacts once this project begins. Further notices will be published and circulated once the work schedule is finalized.
St. Johns County remains dedicated to providing the highest level of service to the residents in Ponte Vedra Beach. With assistance from the Ponte Vedra Beach Citizen’s Traffic Task Force, identifying these necessary infrastructure improvements will aid in the mission of establishing safer and more efficient traffic flow. For more information regarding upcoming projects, please visit www.sjcfl.us.
The CTTF newsletter is published periodically to keep our community informed about developments affecting the roadways in the Ponte Vedra Beach-Palm Valley area. Our distribution includes the registered members of the Ponte Vedra Municipal Service District, the Ponte Vedra Beaches Coalition, the Ponte Vedra Community Association, the Palm Valley Community Association, the North Ponte Vedra Beach Coalition, and the Sawgrass, Marsh Landing, The Plantation at Ponte Vedra Beach, and Sawgrass Player’s Club Homeowners Associations. Each organization is represented on the CTTF Board.